10/30/2017

I Finally Met The Band That Saved My Life


 7102017. The best day of my life
"and you got here just in time to let me know i was worth saving..."

7th of October 2017. 7102017. The best day of my life.

Okay, before everything else, let me tell you why this band is the one. I could just say 'why not?' because really, why not? but they don't deserve a 'why not?'. They deserve a 'So there's this band..."

One usual night about eight years ago, I was crestfallen. I'm always like that, anyways. But that random night I was scrolling through my tumblr dashboard and i saw this exact photo...

Image result for miserable at best mayday parade 

I just cried to myself. OA ba? :D

I searched for the song and the artist for that lyrics and the moment I found out, I couldn't stop myself from listening to that song.

And so there's this band that did not necessarily take away my sadness, but this band was there... I mean, IS always there everytime I get sad. And this band goes by the name Mayday Parade.


And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I fell in love with this band and their songs.

So, yes. I just attended the very first actual international concert with my most loved band and for two decades I've been alive, that night was the most alive I have ever been.


I went alone, oh yes, I'm used to it. But goddamn, that was the earnest decision I have ever made. To come alone, or not to come at all and regret it for the rest of my life. And you know which one I chose. 

The gates opened at 6pm. On the concert day I woke up at 11am because (to make the long story short) my flight from DVO to MNL is delayed at 1am and I checked in in a cheap hotel at 4am.  I arrived at KIA Theatre by 2pm and there's already a long queue. Good thing my admission's line wasn't that long yet. We were literally sitting in the floor for like 3hrs and standing up for the rest of the night.

8pm, not exactly, the show started. AND OH MY FREAKINGGG HEART!!! I COULD NOT CONTAIN MY EMOTION. idk if i can put it in words exactly as what i feel but idc. 


 

 Mayday Parade came with Jamie All Over. And everyone was literally singing along. I was like, "This is my People. I am with my People.", Ghad, Pinoy crowd is the best.

"and please don't tell me that i'm dreaming,
'cause all i ever wanted was to
dream another sunset with you.
if i roll over when it's over, i'll take this Cali sunrise with me
and wake up with the fondest of memories"

Followed directly by "Black Cat"... and dear friends, Brook Betts is cute af while playing the guitar and singing along. I cannot! Btw, the stage lights were stunning. I was beyond ecstatic.

 

After Black Cat, Derek Sanders greeted everyone and thanked the crowd. It was their 5th time in the PH and I'm so proud of those who were present since year one. Came along was When I Get Home You're So Dead (basically the same order with ALIR album, which I did not realize early). The bouncers were so strict that they would not let us record videos because they will take the blame, but darlings, you can't expect that from a concert. Others event went Live. People just cared for the Team Bahays because that's what fam do.

 Then one of my fave came in...

"now i'm hoping just a little bit stronger,
hold me up just a little bit longer 
i'll be fine i swear,
i'm just gone beyond repair"

Of course I was screaming. Duh. Jersey. After that was If You Wanted A Song Written About You, All You Had To Do Was Ask, and then the rest of the band members went back stage. It was dark. Someone brought the Piano in. I was thinking they'd play Stay and Miserable At Best. And so this happened.





I was partly crying during this song. Are you kidding me, that's my anthem. How can I not? Lmao.

After a couple of songs, Derek gave a speech that defied all the loneliness inside. It was definitely what everyone needed:


“Here’s the one thing I wanna ask with everyone here tonight. The one thing. Please don’t ever feel like you don’t matter, okay? Don’t ever feel like you don’t matter ’cause I promise you that you do. You always have, and you always will. And to anyone here tonight who is struggling right now, just remember that some of the very best people in this world are the people who have really struggled and learned from it and become better because of you, right? So you guys will be okay. I love you all so much.”

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, I imploded. They then played my most awaited song, You Be The Anchor That Keeps My Feet On The Ground, I'll Be The Wings That Keep Your Heart In The Clouds (this is what my header is all about, btw)

"and i'll be here by the ocean just waiting for proof that there's sunset and silhouette dreams
all my sand castles fall like the ashes of cigarettes and every wave drags me to sea
i could stand here for hours just to ask god the question: 
"is everyone here make believe?" 
with a tear in his voice he said "son that's the question."
does this deafening silence mean nothing to no one but me?"

I tear up a little bit harder. Goddamn, what are you doing to me Mayday Parade? I was so jam-packed with emotions I don't know if I was happy or sad.

And then more songs came. Derek covered a song "Punk Rock Princess" until it's my another song... Kids In Love. I really love that song, that I had a shoot dedicated to it.

Aaaaaaand that's it! A wrap! Kids In Love ended. Brooks already gave away his guitar pick. Derek bid goodbye. The band went back stage. The lights were gone. No more songs were played. And everyone was screaming!! It's not over yet. The best concert ever.




That was really the end. The next thing I know I was getting my baggage and was hearing people say "Grabe! Solid!" "Royalty Pit na tayo next year!" YAAAASSSS baby.

Then I walked alone outside and saw myself entering KFC, getting a soup, updating my fb status.

The next morning I woke up with a PCD.

After that, I got lost.





The story so far.

xx, gayle

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento