8/19/2019

My tattoo story


Here's the drill:

For every life-changing battle I overcome, I'll mark my skin with tattoo, to remind me that the hardest fights are the ones that did not give me scars but gave me another chance to live.

As a kid, I was someone who despised people with inks. I was a judgmental Christian kid because that's how society programmed me to be. Now I'm putting the blame to others. Lol. Maybe because back in our time, tattooed people have no place in the 'positive mindset' of the society. Nevertheless, as kids, we also used to have the bubblegum with free tattoo and had them on our arms just to look cool. But looking back, I realize, it actually looked stupid.

It was during my sophomore college when I started having a heart for the arts. Perhaps the news is real: art never comes from happiness. It was the time when I had my Afro-Asian Literature class and our prof would give us tasks that requires our creativity that my heart started to be comfortable with the feeling... a console in isolation. Another thing that contributed in my interest, I think, is having read the Tribal Scars (Ousmene Sembene), which was also discussed in the same class. Basically talks about the history of tattoo, err, close enough.

So yeah, that's my background story. All I know is by the age 19, I gave myself a gift... a reward should I say, for not giving up. And that is my first tattoo. The Artemis, my favourite greek goddess. I was more excited than scared. I know my loved ones wouldn't be happy about it, me having tattoo. But I am my father's daughter, I live for the thrill. I take risks for breakfast.




By 31st of October the next year, I had my Je Ne Sais Quoi ink which I was supposed to have for my 20th birthday but it was an itch I couldn't resist. I remember asking my grandma write the words down and have it as the reference, but I lost the paper where she wrote it so I had to pick my favorite font from dafont.com and sent it to my artist.

My third ink is a gift from my best friend, Sid. We had it inked together as he also had his first ink. It is my only colored ink which matches its meaning to my life. I had a hard time taking care of this one and it's worth the effort for it is the ink that gets most compliments from people. 




My fourth one (i won't say the last one bc i'm still looking forward for more inks in the future) is very personal to me, as i designed it myself. I got it on 2018, finally, after a long time of waiting since my graduation, followed by my first job, second job. I felt like I deserve to have it because of what I've been through.




To be completely honest, I still get disappointed when the people I love most can't accept my inks. My mom and my partner obviously despise them, but I know they still love me wholeheartedly because of one main reason:


I am more than these tattoo.
I am more than my battles.

2 komento: